Park County Home Page

Department Home Page


> Applications

> Fees (NEW 7/1/2020)

> Meeting Calendar

> Staff

> Planning and Zoning Commission

Development Help

> Small Wastewater Systems

> Special Use Permits

> Subdivisions

> Floodplain Info

Regulations and Policy

> Natural Resource Management Plan Progress Updated!

> 2015 Development Standards and Regulations

> Small Wastewater System Regulations

> Land Use Plan

> Short-Term Rental Policy Progress

Other Resources

> Park County Online Mapserver




Planning & Zoning Department

Park County Original Courthouse
1002 Sheridan Ave. Suite 109 Cody, WY 82414
Cody: (307) 527-8540, Powell: (307) 754-8540

Office Hours:
8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday

Appointments are strongly recommended.

Park County is developing a
Natural Resource Management Plan
for State and Federal Lands.
Click here to learn more!

The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for the administration of the County's Development Standards and Regulations. Following are the types of permits processed by this department:

  • Building/Zoning Permits
    • Required to locate, relocate, erect or construct any building or structure; enlarge the outside dimensions of any building or structure; and reconstruct any building or structure within the designated floodplain.
    • Required to change the use of any building or structure or change the use or occupancy rating of a building so as to increase the building's sewage design flow.
    • Required to occupy an RV/camper for more than 90 days per annum.
    • Site Plan Review may be required.
  • Small Wastewater System Permits
    • Required for new systems/components, replacement systems/components and repairs to any system component.
    • Required for emergency installations and repairs.
    • Installation of any system component may not commence without an approved Small Wastewater System permit.
    • County and/or DEQ review is required for the disposal of human waste, by any means, in Park County. Outhouses, privvies, greywater systems and similar proposals require review.
  • Floodplain Development Permits
    • Construction proposed in a mapped Special Flood Hazard Area in unincorporated Park County requires a permit.
    • If you are unsure of which types of construction require a permit, consult the County Development Standards and Regulations or call/stop by the Planning and Zoning Department.
    • All floodplain development permit applications go before the Board of County Commissioners in a public hearing.
  • Subdivision Permits
    • Required for Simple Subdivisions, Minor Subdivisions, Major Subdvisions and Non-Exempt Large-Acre (35+ acre) Subdivisions.
  • Special Use Permits
    • Required before commencing with or establishing any use specified in Chapter IV, Section 2.e. Table 4-1 in the County Development Standards and Regulations.
    • Site Plan Review may be required.

The Planning and Zoning Department also handles Site Plan Reviews (when required), zoning/rezoning, variance requests and violations of the County Development Standards and Regulations.

Building Code: Unincorporated Park County has not adopted building codes. We do not issue Certificates of Occupancy or Certificates of Completion.

Snow Loads: T
o estimate snow load amounts, visit the USFS "National Snow Load Information" website.

Wiring and Fire Protection Inspections: The State Fire Marshal's Office in Cheyenne handles electrical wiring permits and fire protection plan review for certain types of construction.