Park County Home Page

Department Home Page

Floodplain Development Permit Application

FEMA Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) - to remove a structure or portion of your parcel from the mapped floodplain

FEMA Elevation Certificate

New! FEMA's National Flood Hazard Layer Viewer (see where LOMAs/LOMRs have been issued)

Floodplain Development

What is a flood?

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), “A flood is a general and temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land area or two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from overflow of inland or tidal waters, from unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source, or from mudflow.”

Is flooding a problem in Park County?

Several areas of Park County are at risk of flooding, based upon historic events. To identify our community's flood risk, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) conducted a Flood Insurance Study. The data compiled during that study was used to create Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), which provide an official depiction of flood hazards for properties within each community. In rural Park County, there are an estimated 1,300 private parcels intersected by flood zones, among which several hundred structures are likely to be present.

How do I find out if my property lies within a flood hazard area?

To see if your property lies within a flood hazard area, you can view digital copies of the FIRMs online or visit the County Mapserver. If you have questions about areas designated as flood hazard areas in unincorporated Park County, you may contact the County's Floodplain Administrator at 307-527-8540.

What should I do if my property is in a flood hazard area and I want to make improvements?

If your property is located within a mapped flood hazard area and you are planning to make changes (such as excavation or construction), you will need to complete a Floodplain Development Permit Application and submit it to the Planning and Zoning Department.

What can I do to seek a change to FEMA's maps when I believe there is an error?

FEMA offers processes through which people can request changes to the FIRM maps by way of a Letter of Map Change (LOMC). There are a few types of LOMCs including: Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), Letter of Map Revision (LOMR) and Letter of Map Revision based on Fill (LOMR-F). Each type of letter requires the submission of different information, including an elevation certificate, for consideration by FEMA. Simply submitting a change request does not guarantee that FEMA will revise portions of the existing maps.

Can I see where other people have been granted map changes?

Yes! FEMA's National Flood Hazard Layer Viewer is available online. You can zoom to any location in the United States to view available data on a variety of subjects, including the various types of LOMCs and the floodplain.

Am I eligible for flood insurance?

Unincorporated Park County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program that provides means for property owners to financially protect themselves from flood risks. If you are a homeowner, renter, or business owner in unincorporated Park County, flood insurance coverage options from the NFIP are available to you whether your property lies within a flood hazard area or not.

The municipalities of Cody, Powell and Meeteetse also participate in the NFIP and have their own requirements for development within the mapped floodplain in their jurisdictions. The Town of Frannie does not participate in the NFIP.