Park County Treasurer
For questions please contact email@example.com
Wyoming Statutes dictate the calculation of all registration fees. The fees are the same in every county in Wyoming. The county collecting the fees distributes the money to the taxing entities for the applicable County.
There are two parts to registration fees:
- The County fee is an ad valorem tax based on the value of the Factory Price of the vehicle. The County fee is distributed to the taxing entities (schools, cities, county, hospitals, fire districts, recreation districts, conservation districts and irrigation districts).
- The State fee depends on the vehicle type. All passenger vehicles are $15; truck fees, motor homes and trailers 1,001 lbs and over are based on the weight; commercial vehicle fees are based on the GVW weight and mileage; motorcycles, mpvs, etc. are $12; trailers weighing 1,000 lbs and under are $2; Commercial vehicles weighing 55,000 lbs and over must submit an IRS form 2290 in order to be registered.
Proof of insurance is required to register. We have a program in place to verify insurance online.
New Vehicle registration requirements:
- A copy of the dealer invoice if the vehicle was purchased from a dealership.
- A copy of the current registration if your vehicle was registered in another state.
- A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection if the vehicle was registered in another state.
- A copy of the current IRS form 2290 if the vehicle is commercial and if the GVW weight is 55,000 pounds and over.
- A copy of the lease agreement, if the vehicle is leased, showing the information on the vehicle and the percentage of sales tax being collected in the monthly lease payment.
- If purchased from an individual, a hand written or typed Bill of Sale. This Bill of Sale needs to be notarized if a temporary registration is wanted.
- Motor Vehicle county fees are based on the original value (factory price) of the vehicle from the factory to the dealer plus all options. This gives the valuation which is then multiplied by 3% which gives the county fee. This fee is in lieu of property tax and can be deducted from federal income tax if you file the long form.
Example: 08 Car factory price $35,000.00 x 60% = $21,000 x 3% = County fee $630.00. This fee is pro-rated downward for the first 6 years of the life of the vehicle till the formula would be $35,000.00 x 15% = $5250.00 x 3 % County fee $157.50. The % is as follows: 60% - 50% - 40% - 30% - 20% - 15%
As you can see, the more expensive your vehicle the more it costs to license in Wyoming. Wyoming is not cheap when it comes to motor vehicle fees. Please contact us for more information if you plan to move to our state.
You are required to license immediately upon employment, even if you are self-employed, or you have 120 days if not employed or retired as long as you are currently registered in another state.
- Please call with any questions.
Sales or use tax will be collected on all vehicles purchased except for motorcycles and multipurpose vehicles purchased from a Wyoming dealer. Sales tax applies when purchased in Wyoming and Use Tax applies when purchased out of state but is for use within the State of Wyoming. The Sales and Use Tax is due within fifty days from the date of purchase to avoid penalty and interest. If paid on or after fifty one days, the penalty will be the greater of $25 or 10% of the tax due. Interest will be charged at 1% per month.
The following are matters this office does not handle, but are often asked about. The proper office for these matters is as follows;
- Issue or amend title documents (County Clerk's Office)
- Factory Price Information (County Clerk's Office)
- Lien Information (County Clerk's Office)
- Veterans Exemption (County Assessor's Office)