Office Of Homeland Security
Family Disaster Plan
- Discuss the types of disasters that are most likely to happen in your area and what to do in each case.
- Pick a place to meet if your family is separated:
- Outside of your house for emergencies while at home.
- Outside your neighborhood in a case where you can't return home.
- Have a means for emergency contact for each family member.
- Ask afriend or relative who lives out of the area to be your family contact. (After a local disaster an outside contact is more likely).
- Family members should call this person and tell them where they are. Everyone must know the contact and their phone number.
- Discuss what to do in an evacuation. Plan how to take care of your pets.
- Know how to shut off the water, gas and electricity at the main switches and valves in your home.
- Have neighborhood meetings to plan how to work together during and after a disaster, with special consideration for the disabled and elderly.